Angry Birds Epic (sometimes called Angry Birds Epic RPG or just Angry Birds RPG) is a free-to-play turn-based role-playing video game released in 2014.The game was soft-launched on March 17 in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and was released worldwide on June 12.
Up to 3 playable characters, the majority of which are birds, can be chosen by the player at the beginning of each level. When the battle starts, both the playable characters and the enemy characters (mostly composed of pigs) will appear on the landscape. To attack, the player can simply swipe from their character to an enemy. To use its secondary skill, the player taps on the character itself or swipe from it to another character.
During a battle, an indicator with the appearance of chili pepper - called the Rage Chili - will slowly fill up whenever any character is damaged. When full, it can be swiped to one of the player's character to activate its rage ability. A bird's primary and secondary skills will change when the player swaps its class; however, its rage ability won't.
The three-star system found in other Angry Birds games is present in-game, though it will not be displayed during the battle. The more stars are achieved, the more crafting and/or brewing ingredients will be given to the player via a wheel of fortune.
After retrieving the anvil and the cauldron, players can use the ingredients they have earned to craft weapons, off-hand items, and potions. A weapon or off-hand item can only be crafted when its blueprint has been obtained. Similarly, most potions can only be crafted if its recipe has been purchased beforehand. When an item is crafted, a dice will be rolled and determine how much damage, health or quantity will be added to the item.
The game features three kinds of currency:
|Type of currencies||What it is used for||How to earn it|
A weapon or off-hand item may hold one of the abilities seen below:
The story opens with a hungry King Pig ordering Wizpig (the game's version of Chef Pig) and Prince Porky to steal the birds' eggs. The pigs manage to locate the eggs along with Red and Chuck. After having his henchmen losing the tutorial battle, Wizpig uses his magic to heavily reduce the birds' powers. The pigs ambush both of them and as a result, succeed in stealing the eggs and kidnapping Chuck, leaving a distraught Red behind. Wizpig then places each of the 5 eggs in a fortified castle.
Red journeys through Piggy Island to save the eggs one at a time, rescuing Chuck, Matilda, Bomb, and the Blues along the way. After recovering four eggs, Red and his team reach the fifth - and final - egg, which is held in King Pig's Castle. They defeat King Pig and Prince Porky, though Wizpig manages to escape with the final egg, stealing King Pig's crown in addition. King Pig starts crying while the birds and Prince Porky gets furious. Wizpig then creates his own castle on the top of Hog Head Mountain and settles there. After fighting various minor mages and Wizpig himself, a defeated Wizpig transforms into his ultimate form - Demonic Wizpig. Fortunately for the birds, Prince Porky joins the birds in the battle and helps them in defeating Demonic Wizpig together.
The game's final cutscene has all the characters watching a sunset with the words "The End" displayed on the screen. The birds then venture to Chronicle Cave, where their adventure continues.
The game is notably set on Piggy Island, and there are many sections of Piggy Island where the levels are placed.
- South Beach
- South Beach (4 levels)
- Cornucopia Woods (1 level)
- Cobalt Plateaus
- Pig Prison (1 level)
- Cobalt Plateaus (12 levels)
- Cobalt Pig Castle (1 level)
- Matilda's Garden (1 level)
- Puzzle Bridge (1 level)
- Southern Cobalt Plateaus (1 level)
- Western Cobalt Plateaus (1 level)
- Eastern Cobalt Plateaus (9 levels, levels 7-9 are behind a Red Pig Gate, levels 5-8 are behind both a Red Pig Gate and a Blue Pig Gate)
- Golden Fields
- Golden Fields (4 levels)
- Beard Forest (2 levels, accessible via a Friendship Gate)
- Limestone Lagoon
- Limestone Lagoon (6 levels)
- The White Whale (1 level)
- Maelstrom (1 level)
- Southern Sea
- Shipwreck Reef (1 level)
- Southern Sea (4 levels)
- Desert Island (behind a Yellow Pig Gate)
- Desert Island (3 levels)
- Eastern Desert Island (1 level)
- Desert Pig Castle (1 level)
- Pirate Coast
- Pirate Coast (3 levels)
- Porktuga (Monday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Slingshot Woods
- Slingshot Woods (6 levels)
- Western Slingshot Woods (1 level)
- Northern Slingshot Woods (3 levels, levels 2-3 are behind a Friendship Gate)
- Eastern Slingshot Woods (1 level)
- Great Cliffs (4 levels)
- Star Reef
- Star Reef (8 levels)
- Ghost Ship (Tuesday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Star Reef Castle (1 level)
- Banjo Bayou (behind a Blue Pig Gate)
- Banjo Bayou (2 levels)
- Floating Hoghouse (Wednesday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Bamboo Forest (behind a Blue Pig Gate)
- Bamboo Forest (9 levels)
- Western Bamboo Forest (1 level)
- Volcano Cliff (1 level)
- Volcano Island (Thursday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Eastern Bamboo Forest (3 levels, level 1 is behind a Red Pig Gate, levels 2-3 are behind a Friendship Gate)
- Canyon Land
- Canyon Land (3 levels)
- Winter Wonderland (5 levels)
- Snowy Peak
- Snowy Peak (3 levels)
- Mountain Pig Castle (1 level)
- Islands in the Sky (3 levels)
- Pumpkin Plateau
- Pumpkin Plateau (2 levels)
- Trick or Treat Castle (Friday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Square Forest
- Square Forest (3 levels)
- Northern Square Forest (1 level, behind a Red Pig Gate)
- Red Giant Valley (4 levels, behind a Red Pig Gate, levels 3-4 are behind a Friendship Gate)
- Eastern Sea
- Eastern Sea (7 levels, level 6 is behind a Red Pig Gate, level 7 is behind both a Red Pig Gate and a Friendship Gate)
- Sunken Pyramid (Sunday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Moorlands (3 levels)
- Lake Land
- Lake Land (3 levels)
- Bottomless Cave (Saturday Dungeon, 1 level)
- Northern Sea (4 levels)
- Old Nesting Barrows (6 levels, level 6 is now behind a friendship gate)
- Pig City
- Pig City Harbor (1 level)
- Pig City (3 levels)
- King Pig's Castle (1 level)
- Hog Head Mountain
- Hog Head Mountain (6 levels, level 4-6 is now behind a friendship gate)
- Northern Hog Head Mountain (1 level)
- Mouth Pool (1 level, you must finish Hog Head Mountain level 6 to unlock it)
- Magic Shield (5 levels)
- Wizpig's Castle (1 level)
- Chronicle Cave
- Shaking Hall (10 levels)
- Rain Plateaus (10 levels)
- Misty Hollow (10 levels)
- Cure Cavern (10 levels)
- Burning Plain (10 levels)
- Endless Winter (10 levels)
- Forgotten Bastion (10 levels)
- Strange Site (10 levels)
- Pig Lair (10 levels)
- Citadel (10 levels)
- Mocking Canyon (10 levels)
- Happy Spot (10 levels)
- Uncharted Plains (10 levels)
- Stormy Sea (10 levels)
- The Great Divide (10 levels)
- Holy Pools (10 levels)
- Pig Porch (10 levels)
- Bacon Bay (10 levels)
- Volcano Jaw (10 levels)
- Hog Head Hollow (10 levels)
- Hells Bells (10 levels)
- Pirate Bay (10 levels)
- Hostile Mist (10 levels)
- Icy Waters (10 levels)
- Pig Paradise (10 levels)
- Mysterious Sea (10 levels)
Chronicle Cave levels are unique because they have different effects that make defeating all pigs and getting 3-stars more and more challenging. The list below are the factors that make these levels more challenging and the recommended level to play them (Added in version 1.5.5)
|Left: Condition, Down: Cave number||Name of cave||Effect Name||What effect does||Recommended level range to play cave|
|1||Shaking Hall||Deadly Grip||Deals 100 damage to a random bird. Every 2 turns.||20-21|
|2||Rain Plateaus||Healing Waters||Heals all pigs by 150 health. Every 2 turns.||22-23|
|3||Misty Hollow||Poison Cloud||Deals 40 damage to all birds. Every 2 turns.||24-25|
|4||Cure Cavern||Ice Prison||Stuns a random bird for 1 turn. Every 3 turns.||26-27|
|5||Burning Plain||Breath of Fire||Deals 55 damage to all birds at the beginning of their turn. Every 2 turns.||28-29|
|6||Endless Winter||Water Of Life||Health of all pigs is increased by 25%.||30-31|
|7||Forgotten Bastion||Tranquil Air||Rage Chili fills up 75% slower.||32-33|
|8||Strange Site||Immunity||Pigs' helpful effects are not removable.||34-35|
|9||Pig Lair||Pig Pen||Summons 1 pig. Every 2 turns.||36-37|
|10||Citadel||Healing Waters||Heals all pigs by 350 health. Every 2 turns.||38-39|
|11||Mocking Canyon||Poison Cloud||Deals 125 damage to all birds. Every 2 turns.||40-43|
|12||Happy Spot||Hot Steam||Deals 345 damage to all birds at the beginning of their turn. Every 2 turns.||44-46|
|13||Uncharted Plains||Cave Tremor||Deals 405 damage. 100% to stun a random target for 1 turn. Every 3 turns.||47-49|
|14||Stormy Sea||Immunity||Pigs' helpful effects are not removable.||50-52|
|15||The Great Divide||Tranquil Air||Rage Chili fills up 75% slower.||53-55|
|16||Holy Pools||Healing Waters||Heals all pigs by 650 health. Every 2 turns.||56-58|
|17||Pig Porch||Cave Tremor||Deals 520 damage. 100% to stun a random target for 1 turn. Every 3 turns.||59-61|
|18||Bacon Bay||Fortified||All pigs receive 90% less damage. Every 3 turns.||61-64|
|19||Volcano Jaw||Wild Boar||Increases attack power of a pig by 10% for 2 turns. Every 2 turns.||65-69|
|20||Hog Head Hollow||Holy Water||Healing skills efficiency of all pigs increased by 100%.||70-75|
|21||Hells Bells||Hells Bells||A cave filled with mischievous minions of hell dealing 1500 damage to the birds every 3 turns.||76-80|
|22||Pirate Bay||Healing Waters||Heals all pigs by 650 health. Every 2 turns.||80-85|
|23||Hostile Mist||Tranquil Air||Rage Chili fills up 75% slower.||86-90|
|24||Icy Waters||Healing Damper||Birds' healing spells efficiency reduced by 50%.||91-100|
|25||Pig Paradise||Pig Paradise||25% of the damage you deal to pigs in this cave will be reflected back to your birds.||100-100|
|26||Mysterious Sea||Healing Waters||Heals all pigs by 5000 health. Every 2 turns.||100-100|
See Epic Characters
Items and Equipment
Angry Birds Dawn of Piggy Island
Angry Birds Dawn of Piggy Island is a Chinese version of Angry Birds Epic. The game was released in May 2015.
Difference between Epic and Dawn of Piggy Island
- During planning stages, the Witch Doctor was originally intended to be the 6th class of Matilda. It is now a type of Shaman enemy. Instead, the Priestess is her 6th class.
The following is a list of found errors in the game:
- Matilda's hair is down when running, but when she stops and catches up with the others, her hair is still down but then a second later, it goes back up again.
- In rare cases, the birds will cheer with their eyes open. This also applies to the pig's failed animation, this happens when the animation is activated when the pig/bird is blinking.
- On the Angry Birds Plushies, (which is collected for the blues) the blue Plushies have no eyelids. This could possibly be a graphical error.
- There is a chance where you can watch a video, but it says you didn't watch the whole video, even though you can't skip the video.
- There is a bug that is still not fixed and its that if you knock out Demonic Wizpig, his mustache will disappear.
List of fixed errors
- Before version ???, when The Blues are equipped with the Ballista set item, they could be seen carrying a plunger arrow in the overworld.
- Before version ???, tapping a bird immediately after giving it the Rage Chili would cause the Bird to repeat its Rage Chili's move every time the bird used its skills.
- In version ???, a few attack icons were mixed up. For example, the thorny vine showed Chuck's wizard attack.
- From version 1.2.9 to version ???, the game always crashes shortly after it started up, and it was never explained why.
- From version ??? to version ???, Matilda's crying noise broke down.
- Maelstrom was incorrectly named in the soft-launch version.
- In the Gameplay Trailer, most of the characters used different voices of other characters. This appeared to be an oversight of the developers, or the old sounds were placeholders while the game was being beta tested. This does not occur in the worldwide release. The following list shows all the sound errors:
- Wizpig had the sound effects of a wizard pig and vice versa (example: Wizpig attacking sounded like a wizard pig attacking)
- Prince Porky sounded different when he sticks his tongue out.
- When Chuck and Matilda laughed, their laugh sound effect was swapped.
- When Chuck made his rage ability noise, it also played the sound effect when the player uses any type of Hot Veggie Cake on Chuck.
For this game's soundtrack, see Angry Birds Epic Soundtrack.
- Like Angry Birds GO!, Angry Birds Epic shows the characters' current toons design, except for Corporal Pig, which has its old Toons design, due to it being a variant of the Minion Pig and not a separate class of pigs.
- Despite being the first game where the birds do not primarily use the Slingshot, the Blues use them as a weapon.
- This is the first game where the Mighty Eagle isn't shown silhouetted.
- This is currently the only game that shows 5 eggs, instead of the normal 3.
- This game is the first game where getting zero stars is possible, but it only applies to potions and equipment, not the levels. The second is Angry Birds POP!; doing that is more rare, however. The third is Angry Birds GO! (update 2.0) but will only happen if the game is lagging.
- The Birds laugh if Pigs use feathered lances to attack them (except an old version of Lancer, who had a feathered lance).
- They also laugh if Golden Pig attacks using Headbutt, or when Little Ninja attacks with Chi Block, although it is unknown how these attacks tickle the birds. This might happen because all of these attacks empty the Rage Chili (at least partway).
- The shield with the icon at the left below in the poster is the Star-Banner shield. See here.
- All the characters that appear on the map (except for the Knights, Brutes, Shamen, Pigmies, Pirates, Wizards, Zombies, Ghosts) are just dressed in costumes.
- This is the second game to feature Ross, with the first being Bad Piggies.
- This is the first, and currently the only game with three types of currencies.
- This is the second game where a player must have an active internet connection to play, with the first being Angry Birds Friends (mobile), and the third being Angry Birds Fight!.
- There are gates scattered in the game unlockable by collecting keys (colored Pig Gates) and inviting friends (Friendship Gates) that when opened, it unlocks a level, but are not required to be opened to finish the game (except for the Yellow Pig gate guarding the desert castle and the Blue Pig gate guarding Bamboo forest).
- The game may say that there's an end in Chronicle Cave, but there won't be because Rovio is constantly adding new levels to it.
- As you level up, the enemies of the Castle and Dungeon levels will also level up - their level will be the same as yours. The characters which you are able to borrow for the Dungeon and Cave levels - Prince Porky, Pigiana Jones, Piggy McCool, and The Golden Pig also level up. As of the 1.2.9 version update, only dungeon enemies will match the player's level. All other stages have their own set level.
- Also depending on what level your friend's birds (Pig) are will be the same for Chronicle Cave's pigs: if your level is higher than your friend's bird (pig), the level of the pigs will be the same as your friend's bird (pig). And if your friend's bird (pig) is higher than your birds, the pigs would have the same level as your birds.
- The game also has other references to Angry Birds Toons.
- Piggy McCool (Merchant Pig) is the pig disguised as the Blue Bird from the Toons episode True Blue?.
- A part of the end of the story in Angry Birds Epic is inspired by the Toons episode "Trojan Egg", where Chef Pig tries to take the throne.
- In the episode Nighty Night Terence, the pigs used the set Artillery Strike to get the eggs from Terence.
- This is the fourth time Matilda is now known to be female as she wears wigs for her classes, which might be related to the TV show. (the first being Angry Birds Toons, the second being Angry Birds GO!, and the third being the Rio 2 levels in Angry Birds Rio)
- In the dungeon levels, it plays the epic map music. (Music when you play Castle Level and when the Wizpig flees and put an egg in a castle)
- Wizpig's Castle is formerly named Wiz Pig's Castle.
- Wizpig was also formerly named Wiz Pig.
- Certain features like characters, costumes, set effects, and items, etc. in Epic reference other popular media.
- In one of his costumes, the Foreman Pig has a costume resembling Nintendo's Mario.
- When encountering Wizpig for the first time in Star Reef Castle, he has a secondary skill called "Power Up Shroom", which might be referencing the Super Mushroom in the Mario series.
- Artillery Strike, one of the Blues' set effects, references the Big Lucky from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.
- In one of his costumes, the Ironclad Pig has a skill named "Winter is Coming." This references HBO's Game of Thrones series.
- Rovio also posted an artwork of Prince Porky saying "Hear Me Oink!". The throne he is sitting on also references Game of Thrones.
- Mighty Eagle's hint: "I'm the only one who can dislike on Facebook" is very similar to a Chuck Norris joke.
- In one of the costumes, the Dark Knight in Trick or Treat Castle resembles Darth Vader from Star Wars.
- This might be related to Lard Vader in Angry Birds Star Wars.
- It is unknown how Dark Knight, who resembles Darth Vader, is portrayed by a Knight (Ironclad) Pig, while Lard Vader is portrayed by Red (Anakin Skywalker) in the Angry Birds Star Wars series.
- Ice Pig's attacks resemble those of Elsa's from Frozen (except for his costume)
- The Sling and Angry Bird Plushies, two set items for the Blue Birds reference the original Angry Birds.
- The Sling also resembles the slingshot in the original game.
- The boss of Endless Winter, "Knight of the Living Dead", references the movie "Night of the Living Dead."
- Prince Porky's rage ability, the Holy Hand Grenade, is a reference to the game Worms and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Square Forest and the Squarewood item is a reference to Minecraft.
- If you choose Red, Chuck and The Blues in the final battle, plus Prince Porky, their colors and order will be the same as that of the Super Famicom controller (A=Red, B=Yellow, X=Blue, Y=Green).
- Pigiana Jones is a reference to Indiana Jones.
- Frost Hog's weapon (a frozen watermelon on a stick) might be also slightly referencing the Super Blue Watermelon from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and Winter Melon's projectile (also a frozen watermelon, but completely blue) in Plants vs. Zombies.
- Chef Pig is called Wizpig, which the name is also the main antagonist of Diddy Kong Racing and its sequels.
- The candies on two of Bomb's set items are a reference to the candies from Candy Crush Saga.
- The following areas were supposed to be an area in Piggy island but are now part of the Chronicle Cave:
- Hazy Hollow was supposed to be a Misty Hollow island, where there are few veils of mist and lots of crystals.
- Soothing Springs was meant to be the hot springs of the outdoors of the island.
- This is the second time a bird is an antagonist (which is the Sword Spirit in Old Nesting Barrows). The first one is Nigel in Angry Birds Rio, and the third is Gale from Angry Birds Stella.
- When a player loses at Old Nesting Barrows 4, the laugh of Sword Spirit is the same as Red's laugh.
- This is because the Sword Spirit uses Red's own graphics and sound effects.
- This is one of the few Angry Birds games to use funny cartoon sound effects, the others being Bad Piggies and Angry Birds GO!
- This is the first role-playing Angry Birds game to be published by Rovio.
For this subject's image gallery, see Angry Birds Epic/Gallery.