Angry Birds Star Wars is an Angry Birds game for the iPhone, iPod Touch, Android and iPad, which launched on November 8th, 2012. The game was first shown on the Angry Birds Facebook page. The game is based on Star Wars, a 1970's/80's film series directed by George Lucas, and loosely follows its storyline.
On February 3, 2020, it was announced that the game would be discontinued along with Angry Birds Star Wars II and Angry Birds Rio, it's very likely due to the licensing issue. Lucasfilm, a company known for creating Star Wars franchise have been bought by The Walt Disney Company.
If you try to download the app by jailbreaking on iOS, installing it by the APK file on Android or you still have it on your device, you will get a notification that will redirect you to the Thank You message page on the Angry Birds official website but it will never appear anymore if it's read.
The game combines elements of both Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space, featuring levels that take place on both standard terrain and in outer space. The game begins on Luke Skywalker's homeworld; Tatooine. With the exclusion of Jay, Jake And Jim , all the Birds are given new powers not yet seen in a canon Angry Birds title, some of these being upgraded as the game progresses further. One difference is that a Bird may still perform his/her chosen ability moments after becoming a Corpse. This is the first game where players can update their birds and second game that you can play as Darth Vader (Default).
- Red as Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader
- Bomb as Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Chuck as Han Solo and Lando Carlissian
- Terence as Chewbacca
- Stella as Princess Leia
- The Blues as Rebel Pilots
- Matilda as C-3PO
- Egg as R2-D2
- Unknown New Bird as Yoda
- King Pig as Emperor Palpatine
- Minion Pigs as Stormtroopers, Tusken Raiders, Imperial Officers, Tie Fighter Pilots and Mynock Pigs
- Corporal Pig as, Boba Fett, Death Star Troopers and Royal Crimson Guards
- Foreman Pig as Candal Ozzel
- Fat Pig as Jabba the Hutt, Fat Mynock Pig and Exogorth Pig.
Main Article: Star Wars Characters
- Red: Luke Skywalker: He first has no ability, but in level level 1-9 of Tatooine, Red is given a lightsaber that allows him to inflict greater damage in a wider radius by swiping the lightsaber three times. The lightsaber can be used to deflect blaster shots the Bad Piggies fire at the Birds directly back at the Pigs or other structures. Later, his power is upgraded in Path of the Jedi where he gets a green lightsaber.
- Bomb: Obi-Wan Kenobi: No longer being able to explode, Bomb is given the power of the "Force", which allows him to use the force to directional push blocks, blaster shots and debris at enemies. Later, his power is upgraded in Death Star where his force power gets stronger.
- Stella: Princess Leia: Sacrificing her bubble-blowing power for a new gravity attractor, Stella can use her gravity attractor to fire a tractor beam to pull out objects from their original position, causing the structure to become less stable. Later, her power is upgraded in Both where her tractor beam becomes stronger.
- Chuck: Han Solo: At the cost of losing his power to go really fast, Chuck becomes armored with a blaster which is like the ones occasionally used by the Stormtrooper Pigs. Tapping any part of the screen will make Chuck fire three single shots in that direction, which damages objects but ricochets off metal blocks, while still causing minor damage. Later, his power is upgraded in Moon of Endor where the blaster shots turn blue.
- Terence: Chewbacca: Terence still remains one of the stronger of the Birds, but now causes medium earthquakes where he lands, which can misplace and damage nearby objects. Later, his power is upgraded in Hoth where his Strength gets more power.
- Blues: Rebel Pilots: The Blues still have their original power to split into three from all the other games in the Angry Birds series, with no changes. Later, their power is upgraded in Death Star 2 where they get to cause small explosions when they hit blocks.
- Chuck-Styled Brown: Lando Calrissian: He is introduced in Cloud City. He's armed with a blaster which is exactly like the one occasionally used by Han Solo, but it launches one triple shot. Later, his power is upgraded in Death Star 2 where his blaster shots turn blue.
- Unknown New Bird: Yoda: Yoda is introduced in Path of the Jedi, he only watches Luke Skywalker and his allies train while defeating fake pigs.
Exclusive to Bonus
- Matilda: C-3PO: A male Droid built in Matilda's image, his ability is splitting apart into five body parts. The body parts can damage structures and pop pigs.
- Egg: R2-D2: Modeled after the Egg, it emits a lightning shock that can destroy any surrounding Pigs with in the range in an instant.
- Tusken Raider Pigs: The weakest members of the Pig Empire. They are seen on the Tatooine levels.
- Stormtrooper Pigs: The main soldiers of the Pig Empire. They are able to use blasters to throw off the Birds' accuracy.
- Imperial Officers
- TIE-Fighters: TheTIE-Fighters from Star Wars but shaped like pigs, the main fighter used by the Galactic Empire. They are piloted by the TIE-Fighter Pilot Pigs and hover around, being hard to hit.
- Death Star Trooper Pigs
- Moustache Pig: Candal Ozzel
- Jabba the Hutt: The strongest pig which is sluggish-like and enslaves Leia, traps Han Solo and makes R2-D2 his butler for Ice-Cream and junk food.
- Darth Vader: The evil, machine-pig-hybrid is a master at using the Dark Side of the Force. Vader was the main villain of the original Star Wars trilogy and plays the same role in Angry Birds Star Wars. He is playable in the last level of Death Star 2, after beating Emperor Palpatine, but is only used to defeat him.
- King Pig: Emperor Palpatine: The King Pig plays the role of the Emperor, the main antagonist of Star Wars as a whole. He can be seen in Death Star 2, where he is situated on a spinning chair. If the four bars fill up, Emperor Palpatine will spin his chair (and playing the classic cartoon whirling sound), causing him to change the height of his chair. If the four bars are empty, he cannot produce any lightning bolts, allowing the birds and blocks to attack him.
- Boba Fett: A pig that is a bounty hunter.
- Tatooine: The very first Angry Birds Star Wars episode. These levels are based on Tatooine from the Star Wars universe, as it is seen in A New Hope.
- Death Star: The Death Star is the space station of the Empire. The flock are here to save Princess Leia (Stella) from the depthes of the Death Star.
- Hoth: The first level to be based on The Empire Strikes Back. It is set on the snowy planet of Hoth from the Star Wars universe.
- Path of the Jedi: Path of the Jedi is the level that takes place on the Star Wars planet Dagobah. This level involves learning the ways of the Force from Jedi Master Yoda, based on the character of the same name.
- Cloud City: The Cloud City served as the home of Chuck "Han" Solo's good friend, Lando Calrissian. Han, Leia and Chewbacca had escaped to Cloud City after nearly being captured by Darth Vader.
- Moon of Endor: The Moon Of Endor is a moon where the happy bird creatures Ewoks can be found, the flock escaped to this place after defeating Jabba.
- Death Star 2: Death Star 2 is the sequel to Death Star. the levels take place where Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader lightsaber duel for the last time and also set in the sixth and final Star Wars episode. The last level in this final episode involves defeating Emperor Palpatine and also Darth Vader dies.
- Bonus: Similar to Golden Eggs, Bonus levels are achieved through obtaining golden egg-shaped spaceships throughout the game.
- Boba Fett Missions: A bonus level unlocked after obtaining 5 Jetpacks scattered around the levels, the episode features 10 new levels set in Cloud City and with Boba Fett in all of them.
The rewards are awarded after the player completes levels and unlocks characters. After touching them, they will make a sound. This is how to obtain them and what they do:
- Luke Skywalker Red: Unlock Luke Skywalker in Level Tatooine 1-1. He makes his launch sound.
- Tusken Raider Pig: Defeat a Tusken Raider in Level Tatooine 1-1 and complete it. He makes his idle sounds in the levels.
- Obi Wan Kenobi Bomb: Unlock Obi Wan Kenobi in level Tatooine 1-5. He makes his launch sound.
- Stormtrooper Pig Defeat a Stormtrooper in Level Tatooine 1-6 and complete it. He makes his idle sounds in the levels.
- Luke Skywalker Red With Lighsaber: Unlock Luke Skywalker's new ability in level Tatooine 1-9. The lightsaber sound is emitted.
- Han Solo Chuck: Unlock Han Solo in Level Tatooine 1-17. He makes his launch sound.
- Mighty Falcon: Use the Mighty Falcon Power Up for the first time. Makes a flying sound.
- Tie Fighter: Destroy a Tie Fighter in Level Tatooine 1-40 and complete it. Makes its explosion sounds.
- Tatooine Planet: Beat Level Tatooine 1-40. Makes the completed level jingle.
- Rebel Pilot: Unlock the Rebel Pilots in Level Death Star 2-1. Makes his launch sound.
- More Coming Soon
- This is the second Angry Birds Mobile game that does not use any Pig-related episode titles.
- Angry Birds Star Wars is the first crossover Angry Birds game, as being a crossover with the Star Wars original trilogy. The first is Angry Birds Rio, a crossover with Rio, the third is in Angry Birds Star Wars, a crossover with the Star Wars prequel trilogy, and fourth is Angry Birds Transformers, a crossover with the Transformers series.
- This and its sequel are the only two Angry Birds games whose title splash precede the Rovio logo. They are also the only two games with skippable logos.
- This is the first game not to feature Bubbles and the second one not to feature Hal and the third one not to feature Silver
- This game uses some ideas and sounds from Angry Birds Space.
- In the console editions of the game, each planet episode preview is animated exclusively.
Differences between Star Wars and Angry Birds Star Wars
- Red and Obi-Wan fight their way through the Jundland Wastes, similar to LEGO Star Wars II. This is unlike the movie, where Luke and Obi-Wan simply head to Obi-Wan's hut without any encounters with the Sand People.
- Obi-Wan stays hooded throughout the entirety of Angry Birds Star Wars, unlike in Star Wars.
- In Angry Birds Star Wars, there actually is a reason Ponda and Evazan dislike Red Skywalker: Red accidentally shoved Ponda into a pickle jar. In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Ponda and Evazan dislike Luke for no apparent reason.
- Ponda Baba's arm isn't cut off. Instead, Baba has a pickle in his mouth that gets cut in half by Obi-Wan's Lightsaber. This is all most likely due to attempting to make the game kid-friendly, and the fact Baba doesn't have any arms in Angry Birds Star Wars, like most Angry Birds characters.
- Red uses his Lightsaber throughout A New Hope, unlike Luke, who only uses it twice in the movie.
- Obi-Wan is never killed on-screen in Angry Birds Star Wars, even though he is killed at the hands of his old apprentice, Darth Vader in A New Hope and is even used in levels based on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Angry Birds Star Wars II has a similar scenario where characters killed off in canon are still used in the regular episodes.
- Grand Moff Tarkin's role is less major.
- The roles of R2-D2 and C-3PO have become less major.
- Yoda doesn't hide his true identity when he first meets Luke. In The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda hides his identity from Luke and acts eccentric and curious, attempting to teach Luke patience. Luke grows impatient because Yoda wouldn't take Luke to find the Jedi Master Yoda (as at the time, Luke didn't know the creature was Yoda). In Angry Birds Star Wars, none of these events happen.
- Red Skywalker gains a green Lightsaber during the events of The Empire Strikes Back unlike in the Star Wars films where Luke constructs a new green Lightsaber after losing his father's old Lightsaber sometime between The Empire Strikes Back.
- The Wampa is absent. However, there are toy figures of it.
- Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Chewbacca fight in the Main Battle of Hoth.