- For the application set amongst them, see Angry Birds.
- For some information on characters from Rio, see
- Rio Characters.
- For some information on characters from Space, see Space Characters.
- For the non-canon characters created by Rovio, see Joke Birds.
- For the group involved in the Great Egg War, see The Flock.
Birds are the protagonists of the Angry Birds series, and come in varieties of different species and sizes. Their main goal is to retrieve the eggs that their enemies, the Bad Piggies, have stolen. Ever since they were first stolen, they have tried numerous attempts to get them back; even killing pigs. They hurl themselves using a Slingshot at the various buildings and fortresses the Pigs made. There are 9 playable birds in Angry Birds Classic, 9 in Seasons, 10 in Rio, 7 playable birds and 1 egg in Space, & 7 birds from Angry Birds Star Wars and 1 egg, plus 5 Mighty Creatures. When a level is completed with unused birds, the player is awarded with 10,000 points for each unused bird, regardless of type. This increases the chance of getting 3 stars in a level. Both Bird Island and Piggy Island are based on islands in the Pacific Ocean.
There are twenty known different species of birds, one dragon, plus several birds from other apps. Below is a list of all the birds that were included in the series:
- Red Bird - Red
- Blue Birds or The Blues - Jay, Jake, and Jim
- Yellow Bird - Chuck
- Black Bird or Bomb Bird - Bomb
- White Bird - Matilda
- Green Bird or Boomerang Bird - Hal
- Big Brother Bird or Big Red Bird - Terence
- Orange Bird - Bubbles
- Pink Bird - Stella
- Blue Terence or Big Blue Bird or Big Blue Brother bird - Tony
- Grey Bird or Silver Bird - Silver
- Ice Bird - Name Unknown
The Mighty Creatures
- Mighty Eagle - (needs to be bought for $0.99, only once)
- Mighty Dragon - (exclusive in the Year of the Dragon episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Mighty Philadelphia Eagle - (exclusive in Angry Birds Philadelphia Eagles, non-canon)
- Space Eagle - (exclusive in Angry Birds Space)
- 3 Small Eggs - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- Boy Egg - (exclusive in the Hogs and Kisses episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Girl Egg - (exclusive in the Hogs and Kisses episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Medium Egg - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- Large Egg - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- Helmet Egg - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- Moustache Egg - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- King Egg - (exclusive, King Pig Level)
- Space Egg - (exclusive, Angry Birds Space)
- Female Red Bird - (exclusive in the Hogs and Kisses episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Female White Bird - (exclusive in the Hogs and Kisses episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Striped Bird (baby) - (exclusive in the Easter Eggs episode of Angry Birds Seasons)
- Rafael - (exclusive, Angry Birds Rio)
Birds from Other Apps
- Blu (himself, playable)
- Jewel (Blu's wife) (herself and Blu chained, playable)
- Rafael (unplayable, ally)
- Luiz (Bulldog; Neither a bird nor playable, just an ally to the birds and appears in a level)
- Caged Birds (8) (unplayable, allies and targets)
- Super Red Bird (Red)
- Lightning Birds (3) (The Blues: Blue Jay, Blue Jake, and Blue Jim)
- Lazer Bird (Chuck)
- Firebomb Bird (Bomb)
- Monster Bird (Terence)
- Atomic Bird (Bubbles)
- Ice Bird (New bird)
- Space Eagle (Mighty's space counterpart)
- Space Egg (New bird)
- Red (Ninja)
- Jay, Jake, and Jim (3) (Taiko Drummers)
- Chuck ( Samurai Kunden (General) )
- Bomb (Karate Sensei)
- Matilda (Geisha Girl)
- Hal (Kendo Master)
- Terence (Sumo Wrestler)
- Terence with a Heikki Helmet
- Red with St. Patrick hat
Angry Birds Movie
Utilities and Power-Ups
Unlike the Pigs, there are eleven known utilities used by the Birds:
- Slingshot (Up-gradable to King Sling in Angry Birds Friends and Angry Birds iOS and Android only)
- Mighty Millenium Falcon
- Sardines (Summons the Mighty Eagle)
- Koi Fish (Summons the Mighty Dragon, but only appears in the episode Year of the Dragon)
- Cheetos bag (Explodes, but if the screen is tapped it will release more explosive cheetos. Appears in AB Cheetos)
- American Football (Summons Mighty Philadelphia Eagle, appears in AB Philadelphia Eagles)
- Stella's bubble wand
- Power Potion/Super Seeds (Power-Up)
- King Sling (Power-Up)
- Sling Scope (Power-Up)
- Birdquake (Power-Up)
- Boombox (Power-Up)
- Pumpkin Drop (Limited Power-Up)
- Lightsaber Slingshot
- Thermel Destanator
- Blaster Droid
- Energy TNT
- Homing Bird
- TNT Drop
- Samba Burst
If the screen is touched or clicked while a bird is moving, it will activate a special power or a unusual noise. This is unavailable if the bird has become a corpse except for Bomb, Terence, Bubbles, their Space versions, Stella, Cheetos, Space Egg, and the Ice Bird, but Blu uses his power as soon as he hits an object. Mighty Creatures can be bought and once their item is launched they fly after it attacking the level.
Special Powers from the Original App
These birds are the Flock and the Mighty Eagle, their friend and ally, and they all have appeared in the first three apps (the Original, Seasons, and Rio) and most have appeared (in a new form) in AB Space (except White, Boomerang, and the Mighty Eagle) and in AB online games like AB Friends (except Orange).
- Red - Squawks when you tap or click the screen, but has no special powers.
- Jay, Jake, and Jim - Multiplies into 3, and each clone is bumped slightly up or down. (Strong against ice and glass but weak against other blocks).
- Chuck - Gains more speed (its always goes at the same certain speed, no matter what speed it was moving at before) and makes a more of a high pitched sound than before. (Strong against wood but weak against ice)
- Bomb- Able to explode in mid-air or on impact. (Great at breaking stone)
- Matilda - Drops an egg which then explodes. The bird herself becomes deflated and is propelled fast upwards and to the right. The body still collides and can be used like a powerful Red.
- Hal - On land, opens his beak and flies in the opposite direction, maintaining the same speed and vertical direction. Underwater, turns into a corpse. He also flies higher then all the other birds when fired.
- Terence - Stronger than common birds, but no real power. (Great at breaking all blocks)
- Bubbles - Expands to huge size, like a balloon, propelling all blocks away while in a tight space in either mid-air or on impact. After impact, it deflates.
- Mighty Eagle - Smashing everything and causes an earthquake, eliminating any pig on the level. (Summoned using Sardines)
- Stella - Has the ability to blow bubbles and piggies, blocks, and other obstacles in the bubbles radius, will fly in the air in multiple pink, blue, or green bubbles. Once the bubbles are popped, everything will fall down causing massive damage to both the pigs and the fortresses.
Special Powers from Other Apps
From Angry Birds Seasons
- Mighty Dragon - descends in a staircase like form, loops around, and darts back up, popping all piggies and destroying obstacles in his way, similar to Mighty Eagle. (summoned by using the Red Koi Fish) (Year of the Dragon only)
- Mighty Basketball - Like the Mighty Eagle, but falls on the level then bounces again. (Ham Dunk only, summoned using an unknown white object)
From AB Rio
- Blu and Jewel chained together - When tapped or clicked, Jewel flies straight dragging Blu along.
- Blu freed and solo - Once he hits an object, he'll shake himself up causing spreading of objects.
- Samba Bird - Once he hits an object, he'll start dancing causing objects to fly in different directions.
From AB Space
- Ice Bird - Ice Bird freezes an area on impact. Ice Bird explodes a couple of seconds after impact with any piece of structure, and covers the surrounding blocks and pigs with ice making the them brittle and easier to break. If the screen is not tapped, Ice Bird will hesitate for a few seconds, still turning surfaces it touches into ice; making the Ice Bird a technical variation of Bomb. It also has a Sling Scope.
- Super Red Bird - Similiar to Red, but if near a pig in a gravitational force and if the screen is tapped, the pig(s) will get scared. He still makes a noise when this happens. Also has Sling Scope power. (Red)
- Lightning Birds - Same as the Blues, but with a Sling Scope. (Blues)
- Lazer Bird - Similiar to Chuck, but tapping now chooses a directional target. Lazer Bird will turn at a sharp angle and accelerate toward the target tap, ignoring gravity and air vents until hitting something or running out of speed. Also has Sling Scope power. (Chuck)
- Fire Bomb Bird - Same as Bomb, with slighlty higher knockback. Also has the Sling Scope power. (Bomb)
- Monster Bird - Same as Terence, but with the Sling Scope. (Terence)
- Atom Bird - Same as Bubbles, except, the deflated Bubbles no longer does damage and floats in gravity fields instead of falling. Also has Sling Scope. (Bubbles)
- Space Egg - The space egg can create a small but very powerful black hole that appears on screen for a short time. It can be used kind of as a magnet, to pull things around. It also has the Sling Scope. (Eggs)
- Space Eagles - Similiar power as the Mighty Eagle, but Space Eagles will only do some damage to the level, but there are no time restrictions on use, and you can use several per level since they travel in Flocks. They fly out of a vortex. (Summoned using Sardines, also has the sling scope.) (Mighty Eagle)
From Angry Birds Star Wars
- Luke Skywalker - At first no power. After level 1-9, he slices with a blue lightsaber. After completing Path of the Jedi, he slices with a green lightsaber which causes even more damage.
- Obi Wan Kenobi - Pushes things away with the force in the direction where you tapped. After a Death Star level, he uses force stronger and pushes things upward where the player taps.
- Han Solo - Shoots three lasers in the direction the player taps.
- Rebel Pilots - Same ability to split into three like the Blue Birds.
- Chewbacca - Same as Big Brother Bird, but causes the screen to shake.
- R2-D2 - Electrocutes nearby pigs.
- C-3PO - Breaks into 5 pieces.
- Princess Leia - Pulls objects toward her in the direction the player taps.
From AB Cheetos
- Cheetos - Like Bomb, if it hits a structure, it simply blows up, causing a small amount of damage. If the screen is clicked when it is in mid air, it blows up, but this time it releases four explosive Cheetos.
From AB Philadelphia Eagle
- Mighty Philadelphia Eagle - Same as Mighty Eagle, but after a few seconds after it hits the ground the game goes in slow motion for a few seconds and flashes, then back to normal. (Summoned using football .)
From Angry Birds 2
- Red - When you tap the screen, His battle cry will release an aura of his anger.
- They are 24 confirmed blue birds including their counterparts in other games (The Blues, Olive and Greg, Blu, Jewel, the Mighty Philadelphia Eagle, Ice Bird, Luca, Willow, Tony, Serdar Soganci Bird, Shirley, Phillip, The Lightning Birds, The Wedge Antilles Birds and the Jedi Youngling Birds).
- An artist named Sam Spratt painted realistic pictures of the birds.
- For an update, Bomb has a new voice, for Angry Birds.