| Leonard Mudbeard
King of Piggy Island
|Voiced by||Bill Hader|
|Full Name||His Majesty King Leonard Mudbeard|
|Regnal Name||As heir apparent: Crown Prince Leonard
As king: King Mudbeard
|Ruler||King of Piggy Island|
|Passed away||Unknown (before the coronation of King Pig)|
|Buried||Unknown: Perhaps in a crypt in the Pig Church, or a cemetery|
|Family||Spouse: King Pig's mother
|Coronation Location||Balcony of the Pig Palace|
|Coronation Timing||Shortly before the Battle of Pig City|
|Titles held||Commander of the Piggy Air Force, Captain of the Porkchop Express, Commander-in-chief of the Piggy Army|
|Advisor||Ross, then Courtney|
|Legacy||Stealing eggs, Battle of Pig City, beginning the Great Egg War|
|Preceeded by||Succeeded by|
|Unknown (his father)||Smoothcheeks|
Leonard Mudbeard, or King Mudbeard, his full title His Majesty King Leonard Mudbeard or Chuckles as called by his friends was the King of Piggy Island. He was a bearded pig mentioned in the comics who later appeared as the main antagonist of the Angry Birds Movie who lead the other green pigs in stealing the eggs from Bird Island under the guise of being peaceful explorers. In the film and its sequel, he was voiced by Bill Hader. It is known he later found a wife, and had a son, born on September 19 in an unknown year, Smoothcheeks.
- Name: Leonard
- Known Aliases: King Mudbeard
- Group Affiliation: Bad Piggies
- Allies: Pigs
- Voiced By: Bill Hader
Mudbeard appeared as a green anthropomorphic pig in a chubby build with dark green thick brows and a full beard. He also have black eyes. He first appears without a crown. Later when he steals most of the eggs along with the Pigs and to be taken in Piggy Island. Mudbeard was seen wearing a crown on his head adorned with rubies and sapphires as opposed only several sapphire gems. His first outfit is a white pair of briefs where he was taking a bath. His second outfit is his red sporty attire and third and final outfit, Leonard only wore his royal red ermine robe with a white-and-black fur-trimmed collar as well as his royal crown, at his coronation.
PersonalityMudbeard seemed to be very controlling, as demonstrated when he interacts with Ross, shaming him for messing up their entrance on Bird Island. He has no fears or doubts when going onto Bird Island and greets the Birds with confidence, and makes his entrance loud and obvious.
His positive and negative traits include being kind, dizzy, selfless, meek, sweet, intelligent, wise, silly, devious, aggressive, evil, murderous, power-hungry and violent.
Leonard's description from the Lego website:
Take an international ambassador, and combine it with a used car salesman, that’s Leonard. He is charming and charismatic, he speaks with confidence and enthusiasm, and he just might be full of baloney and hogwash, depending on who you ask. But with a personality like that, you can’t help but fall for his charm.
During their stay at Bird Island as his plans of stealing the Eggs is ready to engage, he was shown to be obsessed with just one Egg as he imagines himself with an Egg. He also noticed Red's suspicions about his plans of stealing the Eggs as he makes Red as his enemy which they are seen fighting for the egg which would later hatch Jay, Jake, and Jim as Red manages to outsmart him before the Pig Palace exploded. It was later revealed he survived the attack and danced to "I Will Survive" with Ross and the survivors of the battle.
Death and legacy
Multiple years after taking the throne, the king died and mourning was held, with his son, Smoothcheeks succeeding him as ruler. His legacy remained as the first pig to actually retrieve eggs, and beginning their ongoing conflict, the Great Egg War, with the Birds. He was perhaps buried in a cemetery or a crypt in the Pig Church. Perhaps he just resigned and let the throne to his son.
Behind the scenes
|“||I grew up with a framed pencil drawing of a marble bust of a Roman Emperor, Caracalla, which was hanging in my family house in Rome. The drawing was made by one of my great-grandfathers at the end of the 19th century. While growing up I dreamt of one day being able to draw that well. While drawing Mudbeard for Angry Birds, I designed his beard as a specific tribute to that drawing.||”|
— Francsesca Natale, character designer
According to The Art of the Angry Birds Movie, Francesca R. Natale, the character designer for The Angry Birds Movie, decided to design Leonard such that he would resemble the Roman emperor Caracalla, reflecting upon her Italian heritage.
- He is the first pig to have an actual name (excluding King Pig etc. pigs that use occupation + pig as their appearance), the second is Ross, the third is Earl, the fourth is Bobo The Bulky, the fifth is Patsy and the sixth is Don Bacon.
- Leonard is King Pig's father.
- In Angry Birds Fight!, he makes a guest appearance as a boss, being named "Leonard Pig".
- His voice sounds very similar to the legendary voice actor Jim Cummings. He is actually voiced by Bill Hader, who based his voice on the voice of his high-school football coach.
- He is the first known pig to be king, the second is King Pig.
- He appears in Dessert Mode in Bad Piggies in a portrait along with his deceased wife next to King Pig's throne in the Pig Palace.
- Leonard's friends are known to call him Chuckles.
- In the Russian dub of The Angry Birds Movie, Leonard was named Леонард, a Cyrillic transcription of his name.
- In the storyboards of The Movie, Leonard would be merely a short pig without a beard. Ross was bigger than him and would have translated what he was saying in symbols.