This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring.
You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
|Abilities||None (fly to wherever the screen is tapped in Red's Mighty Feathers)|
|First Appearance||Poached Eggs 1-1|
|Species||Northern cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)|
|Locations||Various levels after Poached Eggs|
Red is the main protagonist of the Angry Birds series of games created by Rovio Entertainment. He was introduced in 2009, as the icon of the original game and a core member of the original flock, as well as the leader. Red is typically the central character in the Angry Birds games. After his first appearance in Poached Eggs, he has become a prominent character for the series.
After the game's release in 2009, Red has become an icon for mobile gaming and an overall globally recognized character.
Red is a brightly colored cardinal. He has two red feathers on the top of his head, and three black tail feathers. He has burgundy rings surrounding his eyes as well as two oval shaped burgundy spots on both sides of his face. Red has a yellow beak, and light beige breast feathers.
Red is the leader of The Flock, a group of birds dedicated to protecting their eggs from the villainous pigs. Red is loyal, and is willing to fight to protect the eggs as well as his fellow flock members. He is typically very confident in the abilities of the group and leads most of the attacks against the pigs. Red also has anger management issues, and has the tendency to be blinded by rage from things that may not typically anger someone.
Red is first seen in the beginning cutscene of Poached Eggs, where he and the othe birds discover that their three eggs have been taken away by the pigs. This causes them to go after them, having to destroy the pigs' structures along the way in order to retrieve the eggs. Each episode of the game typically follows this formula, only in different settings. This excludes The Big Setup, where Red and the other members of the flock are captured alongside the eggs, but are rescued by Terence and Hal by the end of the episode.
Red later has a special episode in the game named after himself, Red's Mighty Feathers, where he is given a feather from the Mighty Eagle and gains his own special abilities. He uses this ability to battle the pigs and later defend an egg entirely on his own from the pigs' vehicles.
Despite being the leader of the flock, Red does not have any abilities. Thus, when the player taps the screen Red will only release his "battle cry". Red is a bird that should be used very tactically, and can be used to pop pigs easily or cause chain reactions in order to make more damage.
Red's strengths and weaknesses are seen here.
In the Red's Mighty Feathers theme, Red was given an ability similar to Lazer Bird, which is to fly off to wherever the player taps. This allows Red to reach any location on the level provided that he does not crash into any objects along the way, an ability that none of the other birds have. He is also slightly stronger, mainly due to his increased speed when his ability is activated.
This ability is exclusive to the levels in the theme and the Golden Eggs associated with the theme, but the game once offered an in-app purchase to active Red's ability permanently for all levels, where the profits contributed to the RED organization.
- Two versions of Red wearing aviation-related head gear were created for the Angry Birds Asian Challenge completion.
- Terence is the same species of bird as Red, the cardinal. Other than the Blues, there are no other birds of the same species in the Flock core group.
- An officially licensed t-shirt entitled “Nerdy Birdy” showed Red with glasses and a bowtie. The image was so popular that a plush version was created.
- In Archie Sonic Universe Issue 32, a Bird that resembles Red appears as one of the inmates, along with Wolf from Star Fox.
- Red also makes a cameo appearance in Inanimate Insanity Season 2 Episode 4 as one of the ingredients of a pizza. He was also seen in Inanimate Insanity Season 1 Episode 4, along with Chuck when MePhone is explaining the challenge.
- Red is the 7th bird known to play an instrument. He is seen in the Angry Birds Pop map playing a guitar. The other birds known to play an instrument are Hal, Willow, Poppy, Dahlia, Luca, and Matilda, in that order.