The Angry Birds Movie is a 3D CGI-animated action-adventure supernatural science fantasy comedy movie adaptation on the Angry Birds series of video games and was released in theaters in 3D & REAL D 3D on May 20, 2016. The film is presented by Columbia Pictures and Rovio Animation, CGI-animated at Sony Pictures Imageworks, and financed by Rovio Entertainment. In Finland (where Angry Birds was originally created), it was distributed by Sony Pictures. It was released on Digital July 29, 2016, and Blu-Ray/DVD August 16, 2016.
It stars Jason Sudeikis as Red, Josh Gad as Chuck, Danny McBride as Bomb, Maya Rudolph as Matilda, Bill Hader as Leonard/King Mudbeard, Peter Dinklage as Mighty Eagle, Tony Hale as Ross, Kate McKinnon as Stella and Eva, Sean Penn as Terence and Keegan-Michael Key as Judge Peckinpah.
The successful B.O. run spawns a follow-up sequel.
The movie takes place on Bird Island, an untouched paradise inhabited by birds who are naive and innocent, who know nothing of the outside world. They treasure eggs above all else, and are all carefree and easygoing, except for Red, Chuck, and Bomb. Red is a societal outcast who has had anger issues from the very beginning. Eventually, his outbursts become too much and he is sentenced to anger management courses, where he meets other misfit birds with similar problems.
The birds are suddenly visited by green pigs, who are dumb but funny. The birds and pigs quickly befriend each other, but Red does not trust the pigs at all. Ultimately, the pigs reveal their true colours and leads to Red leading the entire flock in a maddening frenzy of rightful revenge as well as finding the right means of dealing with rage.
The following information contains spoilers with the plot and ending details. Or continue to scroll down for your own risk.
After failing his latest client because of his temper, he is sent to bird court where the honorable Judge Peckinpah , who stands on another bird named Cyrus and covers him with a robe, sentences Red to anger management class. The class is taught by Matilda who was an angry bird herself. Among the birds in the class are Chuck, a fast yellow bird who caused problems with a bird cop, Bomb, a gentle blackbird who tends to literally explode whenever he gets surprised or upset, and Terence, a giant red bird who only growls. The class fails to improve Red's attitude and he attacks a sign made by Chuck.
One day, while taking the class, Red and the other birds in his class are informed by Stella that something's coming to the island, which turns out to be a large boat. A pig named Leonard and his smaller assistant, Ross, The Freckled Pig, arrive from the boat and say they are from Piggy Island. Leonard greets the birds and claims to be a peaceful explorer and brings offerings of friendship. They are immediately accepted on the island, as more and more pigs begin to arrive at the island, without hesitation from the birds, except Red.
Eventually, the pigs adjust to society. After Red asks Leonard if he's actually an explorer, why the pigs are still on the island, and why more are coming. Peckinpah informs Red to steer clear of the pigs, refusing to believe his accusations about the pigs. He recruits Chuck and Bomb to help him find Mighty Eagle, a giant eagle who is said to be the protector of the island, and the only bird that can fly. After searching for a few days, they find his "Lake of Wisdom" on top of Bird Mountain and discover the Mighty Eagle. Chuck and Bomb swim, drink and play in the water. Red then hears a huge sound of footsteps and then approaching out of his cave, We see Mighty Eagle. Red, Chuck, and Bomb are shocked. Then, he urunates in the lake. The birds are disgusted. The birds enter Mighty Eagle's cave and find a bunch of trophies, karaoke, and other things, after that, Mighty Eagle starts to sing his song with Red, Chuck, and Bomb and after finishing, Red tries to explain to Mighty Eagle about the pigs, as Red attempts to tell Mighty about his suspicions about the pigs, the Mighty Eagle is revealed to be a lazy, boastful retired bird, who hasn't flown in years. Angry with Mighty, Red and his friends leave after Red sees the pigs planting TNT around the island and they discover that Red's suspicion of the pigs was correct as they are stealing the birds' eggs while the residents are distracted by a party started by the pigs far from the village. After discovering that the pigs are stealing every egg on the island, Red, and Bomb attempt to retrieve the eggs while Chuck runs to alert the rest of the island's residents about the theft-in-progress, Red and Bomb tries to save the eggs by breaking its chain with Bomb's explosion, they fail to stop the pigs, who leave in their boat and in the process, the two try to swim to the boat, but Leonard commands a pig to fire his crossbow, which it hits the TNT spammed on Mighty Eagle's statue, launching it to where Red and Bomb where, but they successfully escape but without saving the eggs. The TNT destroys the village when the birds arrive on the beach the following morning, Peckinpah apologizes to Red for not listening to him. Seeing the depressed birds, Red rallies them to let their anger lose for once and set sail for Piggy Island in order to retrieve the stolen eggs.
The birds construct a boat from the supplies left behind by the pigs, set sail and eventually land on Piggy Island. The pigs are revealed to live in a walled city, with a giant castle in the center. After Red sees a painting of Leonard wearing a crown by the castle entrance, he realizes that Leonard is the pigs' king and that the eggs are most likely in the castle. Using the giant slingshot, the birds attack the pigs by slinging birds such as Hal and Bubbles at them but fail to reach the castle. Red, Chuck, and Bomb make it to the castle and find that the eggs are in a boiler room to be cooked and eaten by the pigs. They manage to enter when Chuck defeats the guards.
Before they can save the eggs, Red is captured by Leonard, now King Mudbeard, and threatens to boil Red. Chuck and Bomb manage to enter the room by a pipe and opening the door. Mighty Eagle then hears Red doing battle cries sees the conflict from Bird Island, and then flies into the castle and tries to carry the eggs out. As the birds escape, Leonard grabs Red by the leg and a blue egg falls out, making its way back to the castle. Deciding to risk his life, Red goes to save the egg from Leonard and eventually floods the castle with the boiling liquid the pigs were used to cook the eggs.
Red outsmarts Leonard by taking a TNT crate off the pile and takes back the egg, the cauldron falls on Red, leaving the King and the entire Pig City to be destroyed with TNT in the castle basement that the pigs had used during their heist, taking refuge in the giant overturned pot the eggs were going to be cooked in. After the explosion, the birds mourn the death of Red, but he emerges with the egg (which has hatched, revealing three bluebirds) and is hailed a hero. When approached by Mighty Eagle, the giant bird claims that he isn't really lazy and made Red, Chuck and Bomb lose faith in him to teach them to find faith in themselves.
Later, the birds appear to give Mighty Eagle all the credit for the egg rescue, Red humbly takes it in stride. However, he discovers that the birds have rebuilt his house as a sign of gratitude and Red decides that it would be better in life to be part of a community. Red, Chuck, and Bomb become roommates. In the credits, it is revealed that a few of the pigs have survived, while Leonard is hatching a new plan to steal the eggs. Then, Jay, Jake, and Jim use the slingshot to launch themselves out to sea.
Cast and Characters
|Jason Sudeikis||Red (adult)|
|Aiden McGraw||Red (young)|
|Peter Dinklage||Mighty Eagle|
|Keegan-Michael Key||Judge Peckinpah|
|Danielle Brooks||Olive Blue|
|Romeo Santos||Early Bird|
|Adam Brown||Hug Trader|
|Geoffrey Arend||Day Care Teacher|
Dane the Saxophone Bird
|Ali Wong||Betty Bird|
|Kevin Quigley||Greg Blue|
|McKenna Grace||Ella Bird|
|Bella Lauder||Maya Bird|
|Craig Berkey (uncredited)||Officer Bill Beakins|
|John Lasseter (uncredited)||Bird|
|Vincent Oswald||Dylan Hatching|
|Pierce Gagnon (Jim)|
Noah Schnapp (Jay)
Owen Vaccaro (Jake)
Indra & Joaquin Raval
|The Hatchling Singers|
|Bill Hader||Leonard/King Mudbeard|
|Billy Eichner||Chef Pig|
|Matt McCarthy||Rodney Pig|
|Fergal Reilly||Foreman Pig|
|Matt Taylor||Hamilton Pig|
|Fred Tatasciore||Monty Pig|
For the cast in the other countries, see The Angry Birds Movie Cast in other countries.
On May 15, 2013, it was announced that the film will be released on July 1, 2016, and will be distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment. John Cohen will be the producer while David Maisel will be the executive producer.
The film was scheduled to be released on July 1, 2016, but in December 2014, it was moved down to May 20, 2016.
On May 20, 2015, it was announced that Jon Vitti will write the screenplay for the film, while Catherine Winder is also joining as a producer.
On October 9, 2015, it was announced that Clay Kaytis & Fergal Reilly will be the directors.
Unlock the Flock
By every bird flung during the Angry Birds Friends "Sneak Peek Tournament" and every share, Rovio would drop a bird on the www.unlocktheflock.net website, which counts as a "fling". For 1 Billion flings, they would release an exclusive surprise. It was a poster for The Angry Birds Movie. Nowadays the website is no longer up.
The Angry Birds Movie received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a rating of 44%, based on 144 reviews, with an average rating of 4.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Angry Birds Movie is substantially more entertaining than any film adapted from an app has any right to be -- which may or may not be much of an endorsement." On Metacritic the film has a score of 43 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".  On IGN, it has a score of 7.6 out of 10, including the big Pro: The Big Finale. On Flicks And The City, it got the 3 out of 5 flicks. On CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale
As of September 5th, 2016, The Angry Birds Movie has grossed $107,483,144 domestically and $347,071,474 in total.
Internationally, it opened with $43,000,000 and counting.
In the United States and Canada, The Angry Birds Movie opened on May 20, 2016, alongside Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and The Nice Guys and was projected to gross $40–45 million during its opening weekend.
Domestically, The Angry Birds Movie grossed $38,155,177 on its opening weekend.
The official teaser trailer for this feature is first debuted on September 23rd, 2015 on YouTube, and it is attached to theatrical releases of Sony Pictures' Goosebumps, later prints of Sony Pictures' Hotel Transylvania 2, and it made the last appearance on Lionsgate/Splash Entertainment's Norm of the North. Although Goosebumps is presented in Widescreen Scope, the preview has black bars surround them on the left and right sides of the screen. It was also seen on Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD releases of both volumes of Angry Birds Toons: Season Two, the Complete First and Second Seasons of Angry Birds Stella, and The Complete First and Second Seasons of Piggy Tales, and on the Blu-Ray/DVD releases of Hotel Transylvania 2, Goosebumps, and the DTV feature, Open Season: Scared Silly.
The official theatrical trailer is first debuted on January 26th, 2016 on Facebook, and it is attached to the theatrical releases of DreamWorks' Kung Fu Panda 3 and Disney's Zootopia. Both films are presented in Widescreen Scope, so the preview is presented in the same way as the theatrical release of Goosebumps.
The third and final trailer has debuted on April 12th, 2016 on the article on Entertainment Weekly then on YouTube, and it is attached to the theatrical releases of Gramercy Pictures' Ratchet & Clank, and Marvel Studios' Captain America: Civil War. Just like Goosebumps, Kung Fu Panda 3, and Zootopia, it was in Widescreen Scope, and the preview is presented the same as those films.
When this movie released on home media on August 16th, 2016, the final trailer got updated to represent that release. So far, it shows up on the SPHE DVD release of Angry Birds Toons: Season 3, Volume 1.
For the official soundtrack, see The Angry Birds Movie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).
The original score has been composed by Heitor Pereira (Minions) and features new songs from Blake Shelton, Demi Lovato, Charli XCX, Steve Aoki, and more.
For this film's image gallery, see The Angry Birds Movie/Gallery.
- When the birds are launched from the slingshot, they tuck their legs under their wings, which gives their appearances a spot-on match to their game counterparts.
- Although it has a rotten rating, The Angry Birds Movie is the fourth highest-rated video game movie on Rotten Tomatoes, the third being Tomb Raider, the second being Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and the first being its sequel (The Angry Birds Movie 2).
- In the scene where the chandelier with Leonard and Red is falling down in Leonard's castle, the Piggy Tales episode "Dr. Pork, M.D." can be seen briefly on a TV in the Living Room. When the pot falls through the castle, another Piggy Tales episode, "The Catch," can be seen briefly on the TV in the room.
- The novel and movie Fifty Shades of Grey is parodied in the Porkchop Express scene in which a book is titled "Fifty Shades of Green".
- Chuck is shown to be left-handed in this film. This is proven from when he paints with it, raises it, and does other things with his left hand.
- There are many in-game sounds in the movie. In the opening credits, Red kicks away, which makes Matilda's battle cry, and when Red, Chuck, and Bomb find the pigs in the boat, the pigs make a noise in which a player fails a level in the game.
- At one point in the beginning of the film, Red asks Edward and Eva, "On a scale of 1 to 3 stars, what would you say about my performance?", referencing to the star-scoring system in the game.
- Chuck says "It's Chuck Time!", referring to the Angry Birds Toons episode "Chuck Time."
- In the scene where Chuck opens all of the doors in Leonard's castle, Red opens a door and sees two pigs wearing blue, frilly dresses, having black rings around their eyes, and holding each other's hooves. Two seconds later, these pigs say "Redrum..." in unison, which when reversed spells "murder". Then, a reflection of the Grady Pigs is shown in Red's eyes while Red says, "Uh..nevermind!", and closes the door. These pigs are clearly a parody of the Grady Twins from the famous horror movie, "The Shining".
- Coincidentally, redrum in Latin means Red, which the word could reference this fact in a modified way.
- Petunia roars like the Tyrannosaurus Rex from the famous Universal movie, "Jurassic Park".
- A pig holds a sign that says "Green Ham and Eggs!," which is a parody of the Dr. Seuss book Green Eggs and Ham.
- The painting that Terence paints during Matilda's anger management course is a parody of the painting The Creation of Adam.
- King Pig would have been an important character in the movie, but he was cut and is only on storyboards. It's unknown if he has an appearance on it. It's possible that he is the Top Hat Pig, due to them having the same shape, he appears with Leonard all the time. He is fancy and King Pig has a costume in Bad Piggies that is exactly like that pig.
- In the movie, there are various references to the game's physics and objects, some examples are the Grappling Hook and Boxing Glove of Bad Piggies. A complete list can't be made because it would be immense.
- The name Oswald, the last name of Pete Oswald appears in Mighty Eagle's record player.
- In the Bird Court scene, the court artist woodpecker John carved a picture of Red and Timothy's family in their game forms, but, for some reason, in the scene where the pigs arrive, the woodpecker carved a picture of himself and (accidentally) Bomb in their movie forms.
- When Early Bird gets shocked as Red says that he is horrible, his crest disappears.
- Officer Bill Beakins's moustache disappears when Ross hugs him. However, it could be only for comical relief.
- As Red and Bomb dangle from the net of eggs stolen by the Pigs, who are making their escape via boat, Leonard incorrectly tells his minions to "Get him off of there!" instead of the plural "Get them off of there!"
- IDW Publishing launched a comic book miniseries, titled Angry Birds: Flight School and situated after the events of the film, on February 22, 2017.
- Rovio Entertainment has released a new online video miniseries that takes place sometime after the events of the film, titled Angry Birds Blues, and focuses on the mischievous antics of the newborn Blues. The first episode premiered on Toons.TV on March 10, 2017.
- In the summer of 2017, GoComics announced that it will be running a comic strip series based on the world of The Angry Birds Movie, with each issue available to view on its website. The strip ran for over a year, from August 3, 2017, to September 20, 2018.
SequelMain article: The Angry Birds Movie 2
Following the strong performance and profitable growth, Rovio Entertainment announced they were planning the sequel to The Angry Birds Movie. 
The sequel was released on August 13, 2019. 
|TV and Movies|
|Piggy Tales|| |
- ↑ Angry Birds Feature Film to Hit Theaters on July 1, 2016
- ↑ Sony Will Release Rovio's Angry Birds Film on 1st July, 2016
- ↑ Rovio's Angry Birds Feature Film Nests At Sony Pictures Entertainment
- ↑ David Maisel, Former Chairman of Marvel Studios, to Become Special Advisor to Rovio - Rovio Entertainment Ltd
- ↑ Rovio announces John Cohen as the producer of Angry Birds movie - Rovio Entertainment Ltd
- ↑ John Cohen to Produce Angry Birds Movie for 2016
- ↑ Jon Vitti to Write the Angry Birds Movie
- ↑ Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly to Direct Angry Birds
- ↑ http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_angry_birds_movie/
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-angry-birds-movie
- ↑ https://www.gocomics.com/blog/4152/new-comics-alert-angry-birds
- ↑ http://www.wsj.com/articles/rovio-entertainment-plans-sequel-to-angry-birds-movie-1472042911
- ↑ http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/842157-masters-of-the-universe-movie