The Angry Birds Movie is a 3D CGI-animated action-adventure comedy film adaptation on the Angry Birds series of video games and was released in theaters in 3D & REAL D 3D on May 20, 2016. The film is presented by Columbia Pictures and Rovio Animation, CGI-animated at Sony Pictures Imageworks, and financed by Rovio Entertainment. In Finland (where Angry Birds was originally created), it was distributed by Sony Pictures. It was released on Digital July 29, 2016, and Blu-Ray/DVD August 16, 2016.
It stars Jason Sudeikis as Red, Josh Gad as Chuck, Danny McBride as Bomb, Maya Rudolph as Matilda, Bill Hader as Leonard/King Mudbeard, Peter Dinklage as Mighty Eagle, Tony Hale as Ross, Kate McKinnon as Stella and Eva, Sean Penn as Terence and Keegan-Michael Key as Judge Peckinpah.
The successful box office run spawned a follow-up sequel.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Plot
- 3 Cast and Characters
- 4 Production
- 5 Reception
- 6 Trailers
- 7 Soundtrack
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Future
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The Angry Birds Movie takes us to an island populated entirely by happy, flightless birds – or almost entirely. In this paradise, Red, a bird with a temper problem, speedy Chuck, and the volatile Bomb have always been outsiders. When the island is visited by mysterious green piggies, it’s up to these unlikely outcasts to figure out what the pigs are up to.
The following information contains spoilers with the plot and ending details. Or continue to scroll down for your own risk.
The movie starts focusing on Bird Island and then it enters it entirely, showing Red running in a jungle with a wooden egg container, which he gets injured several times by hitting branches, even having a snake tied to him, a spider almost bite him in a fallen log and then try to swim, which a fish gets stuck on his tail.
He offers him cake but they refuse because there was a squirrel in it. After getting extremely furious with Edward complaining, especially after he touches him, Red loses his temper and throws the cake on his face and dresses him as a clown.
Eva , Edward's wife, gets disgusted with this and demands him to go away, Red insists on staying and asks them to get a bit of the cake on Edward's face and almost leaves, but slips on the squirrel and the family tries to keep him from falling on an egg, but Timothy stops to eat a piece of cake and makes Red break the egg, revealing that the hatchling was a boy.
The movie then starts with the credits, showing about Red's anger, which shows part of his life when he gets angry.
- He first gets angry with Alex was bumping his belly on him.
- Then, the Mime interrupts his comic book reading, which he punches the Mime on the belly.
- Then it shows birds mocking him with eyebrows in preschool which he tries to get angry but cries.
- Then a kid bird is playing soccer on his house which he kicks him away to the sea.
- Then Cyrus is sneezing on his popcorn during a show, which he dumps the popcorn bag on him.
- Dr. Wingstein was testing his reflexes with a hammer but he slaps him.
- Then, three female birds are flirting which he thinks that it's for him but it's actually for Brad, which steps on him and he gets angry, kicking his lunchbox but slipping.
- Then it shows an egg in a lost and found section, which Red punches off it, revealing him as a a hatchling.
Afterwards, it shows Bird Village, which the birds are going to Bird Court. Eva is telling about how Red destroyed the egg hatching moment, but Red disagrees and says they didn't accept the job he was doing, Judge Peckinpah then starts talking about how the birds are happy and tells a joke, which Red thinks it isn't funny. Then Judge Peckinpah then starts to talk about his angry is a problem in society, and tells him that birds may say hello to him when walking by, but that doesn't mean they actually like him.
Hurt at first, Red then gets angry and reveals his secret to everyone; that he uses Cyrus to fake his height under a robe. Angry with that, Judge Peckinpah gives a punishment for Red as to attend the Anger Management at the Infinity Acceptance Center, and Red is left shocked.
Red then goes to the Infinity Acceptance Center, and doesn't give other birds a warm welcome walking by after what Peckinpah revealed. Early Bird asks how he was a doing and he responds that he was doing horrible, while Stella says that it's nice to meet him but Red says that he can't say the same.
Red reaches the a part where there are a bunch of hatchling passing with their mothers and Monica is preventing him from walking, Red waits until they finish but Shirley, an old bird, walks very slowly to the finish, making it harder for Red to reach the center. It finishes and Red passes by a salon where feathers get on his face by a bird cleaning it, Mime mocks him and then he passes by Hug Trader, that wanted to give him a hug but Red refused, as he was weirded out. He then reaches the center, which he finds Billy, a sign, that was making annoying sounds. At first he brushes it aside but after being hit by it, he fights it and destroys it. When he enters the center, he finds Matilda, that is a quite annoying and attempting upbeat teacher and she shows him his classmates:
- Chuck, that was filed for mocking the police bird Bill Beakins, stealing his wallet and using the money to drink with his friends.
- Bomb, that was filed for blowing up at wrong hours
- Terence, that was filed for an unknown serious crime.
They start making yoga, Chuck did it really well, Red couldn't do it easily and required the help of Matilda, Terence was doing it well despite his size and Bomb exploded due to the pose. Red, Chuck and Bomb walked back to their houses, Chuck invited his friends to go to the Museum Of Happines with a new happiness exibit, but Red didn't want and walked to his house. When he was passing, Hug Trader tried to give him a hug but Red again refused, some birds invited to drink with him and Red seemed to enjoy but it was actually for Brad again, he then passes by the blue birds' house which he sees the blue bird Olive with an egg and her husband Greg was hugging it, expecting children.
Red then went to his house and saw the Mighty Eagle poster, which he remembered about a day at school that his teacher took his students to teach them about the statue of Mighty Eagle, Red asked him if Mighty Eagle was ever going to come back and a female kid bird asks him if his parents ever told him that Mighty Eagle wasn't real, while another female kid bird tells her that Red doesn't have parents, or even friends at that matter, causing him to cry. Red then builds a model of his house and tries to see how it would look like in the village and then looks at the sky, sad.
A ship then comes and someone says Ha, ha! Eureka! while aiming a telescope at Bird Island. The birds are then going to work and school, Red is going back to the anger management class, which was about reading their poems. Bomb's poem was deep and touching, Red didn't write one and Chuck was reading about a crime committed to his creation Billy by a bird with red feathers, Red tries to ignore it and says Terence did it but the birds knew Red did it, so Terence punches him to a wall for giving them a false lead. Stella warns everyone that something is coming and they quit the lesson, while the other birds were stepping on Billy and destroying him even more, causing Red to think of them as hypocrites. All the birds go to the beach.
At the beach, the birds watch a ship come, the ship tries to deck on the beach and Red tries to prevent it from destroying his house and it barley touches it, but a stone anchor destroys the upper left part, Red gets shocked seeing the pieces of his house, that took 5 years to build. The doors of the ship opens, revealing Leonard, a pig, and his assistant Ross, also a pig. The pigs greet the birds, Leonard gives the birds presents and Ross hugs them, Red asks if they are going to cause more destruction and Judge Peckinpah gets embarrassed with him, or even worried that he could be right, while Leonard thinks he needs a basket. Judge Peckinpah greets the pigs and shakes hands with Leonard.
At night, Stella and her friends are making a presentation to the pigs. Red, Chuck and Bomb are seen sitting by the same table, while watching the show. Red has suspicions that the pigs are up to no good. Leonard starts his show and explodes the show stage, making Red more sure of his conclusion that they want to destroy the village. Leonard then presents the trampoline with Oinky and John Hamm and then presents the slingshot, which he slings fruits to the birds, Hal tries to get some by using Bubbles as a platform but he tackles them away, while Chuck and Bomb get fruit, Red says to them that they already had these fruits on the plate next to them. Leonard then starts to asks for a volunteer to launch off the slingshot, all birds wave their wings up but Leonard chooses Red, who was annoyed by him, and fires him to the beach.
Red hits a rock and sees the ship, the Porkchop Express and thinks it's good to explore it. Chuck comes and helps Red, Bomb soon comes later. They find a lot of stuff in the ship, like dynamite and TNT, trampolines, clothes, cars and then Bomb breaks the floor of the trampoline room, revealing a lot of other pigs. Red comes back to the presentation and reveals to everyone the pigs' secret that they had more units and soldiers when Leonard previously stated that there was only two of them and that they taking advantage of the birds' trust, all the birds begin to grow suspicious of him, but Leonard starts to tell a false emotional story. Every bird (except Chuck and Bomb) refuses to believe Red's accusations and tells him to stop troubling their as they resume the show.
It then shows how Red's life is now boring, with the show's lights trying to blind him, the pigs eating all the food and ruling the village with their vehicles, meanhile, Earl and the country pigs were singing the song about friends. Stella is showing the pigs about the points of interest on Bird Island. Matilda is teaching the birds to paint their pain, Chuck paints him as a superhero, Bomb paints the canvas by painting him and bumping into it, Terence paints the Creation Of Adam but with him on the ground and Matilda as the holy figure visiting him, Matilda gets scared with Terence's interests of her. Leonard sees an egg and imagines himself with it, making a picnic and seeing clouds. He sees Red's painting and Red shows it, which was a bunch of torture towards Leonard such as shocking him, throwing him to a waterfall, killing him with an octopus, toasting him as barbecue and slinging him off of Earth, all being revenge for his torments. Leonard says that the paintings are ''good'' and makes a joke about him always being angry.
Red then asks if they are going to keep or to stay because other ships of pigs were coming and that they may be criminals escaping, questioning if they really were explorers. Judge Peckinpah grows annoyed as he doesn't know how to greet visitors and that he is making them uncomfortable, Red then says that it's him that is doing that instead. Red begins to talk to the Mighty Eagle statue that he could help at this time and gets an idea, he invites Chuck and Bomb to search about Mighty Eagle and see if he can help about the pigs. Meanwhile, the pigs are testing a zip-line which Foreman Pig says that it's flawless. Red says that the only one who can help is Mighty Eagle and Bomb imagines him as a strong comic book character that destroys everything and can make a volcano out of his mountain, while Chuck imagines him as a rockstar that the female birds love, so they agree.
They climb the mountains, dive into the rivers, enter the forests, somehow end up in the ocean, while Chuck and Bomb are making Mighty Eagle noises. They climb up the mountain but it's revealed that Mighty Eagle's den is at the another mountain. So they make the process again for days, with Chuck and Red having to go back to get a complaining Bomb, who almost walks off the mountain. They find Mighty Eagle's den and Chuck and Bomb start to drink and dive in the lake of it, thinking it was water of wisdom, until Mighty Eagle comes and they hide behind a rock. Mighty Eagle starts urinating at the lake, disgusting the three birds, Bomb and Chuck specifically. Mighty Eagle then asks them if they came to see him or they have something to say. They get into the cave and Mighty Eagle starts to show them his trophies and products.
Meanwhile, Leonard is giving the birds more presents. Mighty Eagle starts to sing with the birds his song. After they sing it, Red tries to asks him about the pigs but he goes away. Red goes to see him and he was watching Shirley take a mud bath, Red says that he's disgusting and views the pigs pouring explosives into the buildings and stealing eggs, making him realize that his suspicions were right. Red demands Mighty Eagle to fly them down to the village but Mighty Eagle doesn't do that anymore, Red says that he believed in him and on his protection and goes away with his friends, saying that Mighty Eagle is no hero. While Mighty Eagle is hiding his real reasons for laziness.
At the disco, the Daft Piggies stop their job and quit the tent, while the birds are having fun. Red, Chuck and Bomb arrive back at the village and see the Acrobat Pigs stealing the eggs, they go more further and see Leonard escaping with an egg and saying that it was on time, most of the village is demolished and many cars almost run over them, Red demands Chuck to warn the birds and he and Bomb rescue the eggs. Chuck warns all the birds but they don't listen to him and ignore his warnings. Red and Bomb get on the net of eggs and Red demands Bomb to explode the chains while the pigs were throwing objects, he tries to do it but fails, more with the fact that the pigs were spraying water at them. They fall in the water, yet they still continue their rescue. Leonard demands a pig to fire a fire plunger with a crossbow, which launches the Mighty Eagle statue at the them, but they successfully avoid it.
At day, the birds of the village see the destruction of their homes and that the eggs were gone. Judge Peckinpah and the other birds apologize to Red for not listening to him and Red forgives them. Under his leadership, Red convince every bird to use their anger if they want to get their eggs back. They build a boat and set sail for Piggy Island. Meanwhile, Leonard is decelerated King Mudbeard and announces the eggs to the pigs. The birds pass by fog and destroyed ships and reach the Piggy Island beach. The birds put the slingshot and Red asks who wants to be slung first, Bomb wants to but Matilda is launched. She flies above Earl and a group of country pigs seating on TNT, she drops an egg-shaped fireball at them and she is launched to a building. They then launch Hal but he only defeats a Fancy Pig and boomerangs back to a tree.
Then they launch Cyrus, who sneezes at Red, destroys some houses but bumps into a Calvin Swine billboard and they then launch Mime. Leonard sees Red and his flock attacking, and demands all the pigs to search for birds and that they are going to eat eggs for lunch. Red and his friends then launch Bubbles and he inflates a bunch of pigs away, Stella goes next and she does parkour on houses and takes down some pigs, but then falls on the street. Judge Peckinpah is launched after this. He was aimed at boulders, but unknowingly ended up in a house. He blew out the windows of a building before colliding with the ground and causing an explosion.
Meanwhile, Mighty Eagle tries to fly but falls down. Red goes next and he demands Terrence to pull him at a far distance and to be fired at boulders, he is launched and successfully enters the castle. Leonard notices and demands Soldier Pigs to capture Red, but Red hides on a painting and fools the pigs. Other Soldier Pigs come with eggs and hides them in a room, writing on the door that there are no eggs there. Chuck then follows and gets launched into the castle and through a kitchen with cakes, a room with cactuses, a room with swords and then fire arcs, he then gets injured and Red finds him. Bomb is launched next and also infiltrates the castle but gets stuck in a wall. Leonard, noticing that three birds have made it into his castle, demands the pilot pigs to fly the planes and prevent the birds from destroying the city.
Terence sees this and tries to destroy the planes himself, but he accidentally destroys the slingshot. Red and Chuck start to search for the room with eggs. The planes continue to fly. Red and Chuck find Bomb, taking him off the wall, they go to a balcony where they find the pigs guarding the eggs, Red devises a plan, only for chuck Chuck to make paint fall on a pig, a pig's lips be pulled and a pig be punched, which he takes a picture in not even a second. Everything happens all at once, making the pigs think that it was one of them that did everything and chase him.
The birds infiltrate the room with the net of eggs but it's pulled up to the kitchen. Red grabs the net and Chuck and Bomb try to infiltrate to the dining room. Chuck runs into a pipe in means of saving Red. Meanwhile, Foreman Pig presses the button on a control to make the net fall but Red tackles him through the window of the castle and grabs the control, punching the button and pulling the eggs up. Bomb pushes Chuck to the pipe and blows the pipe, launching Chuck through the vents. Mighty Eagle comes and Red demands him to come, Mighty Eagle breaks into the kitchen but slips on the table, bumping into the cauldron and fainting. Red wakes him up and Bomb and Chuck come. Red demands Mighty Eagle to grab the eggs and he does so, Chuck opens the door while Bomb takes the table away. Just as they are about to escape, Leonard grabs Red's leg, which makes an egg pop out of the net from the pressure and back into the castle. Red decides to risk his life and go back into the castle, much to the horror of Chuck and Bomb.
Mighty Eagle, Bomb and Chuck are flying with the eggs but there are planes following them, the other birds are running to escape. Leonard tries to take the egg that rolled back inside, but Red takes it. Leonard demands him to give it but Red refuses, despite him being surrounded by many pigs. Suddenly, the cauldron falls with boiling water, making them escape. Red and Leonard are catapulted by the table and grab into the chandelier, while the other pigs run out of the room. Meanwhile, a lot of plungers are being throw to Mighty Eagle, Bomb jumps off the net and tries to blow up the ram. Matilda and the other birds get into the center of the city, which there a pigs trying to prevent them, Matilda launches fireballs at them and defeats the pigs. Bomb tries to think of things to explode, he thinks of surprise parties, yoga poses and then pigs in airplanes, which causes a huge explosion and he is launched flying, being happy that he blew up on purpose as he flies by Chuck and Mighty Eagle.
Leonard tries to take the egg away from Red but he makes the chandelier fall with them with it, crashing through a lot of floors, while destroying a pig's sandwich and helping a pig from get many strikes in bowling. Matilda and the birds continue running and a truck strikes by and analyses them, showing that the driver is Terence and he demands them to get in it, helping them escape. Red wakes up in a room full of dynamite and finds the egg, he tries to get it but Leonard gets it first. Leonard gets a candle and tries to boil it. Red looks at the ceiling and sees that the cauldron is falling, Leonard mocks him and he thinks of his sad past of being left out, abandoned, and teased. However, he remembers what Peckinpah told him, anger isn't the answer to everything. Red sighs and says that the plan was good and that he was defeated. Leonard gets cocky from the compliment and steps forward, but Red takes a TNT crate off the stack of dynamite and makes Leonard slip. The candle falls near dynamite and sets it off.
Red sees this and makes off with the egg. Leonard arrives from the TNT, very irritated, and tries to catch him but the cauldron falls on Red and leaves Leonard alone in the middle of the explosion. Pig City explodes and the birds, Mighty Eagle and Chuck escape. Mighty Eagle drops the eggs and faints. Greg and Olive see the eggs and the birds go to get them. All the birds get their eggs but the blue birds parents can't find theirs, leaving them distraught. Bomb and Chuck notice that Red is gone and turn back to the demolished city with everyone else, causing them to think he did not survive. Timothy's brother calls for him once seeing him emerge from the rubble and the birds are happy to see that he is alive. Red shows the now broken egg, but Jim, Jay and Jake come out and Chuck and Bomb run to see him. Red and his friends come with the egg and he gives with to Olive and Greg and they thank them. Mighty Eagle greets Red, Chuck and Bomb and say that he was making them lose faith on him so they could see faith on themselves and hugs them.
The birds return home and rebuild the village. Red, Chuck and Bomb are seeing the brand new Mighty Eagle Statue and then the bird show Red his new house, with Judge Peckinpah greeting him back to the village and all birds cheering for him. The Blues come with the other hatchlings and sing the Mighty Eagle song to him but replacing the word Eagle with Red, with Terence singing the last part of the song and Matilda loving it. The three main birds start to talk and Red says that he is going to miss the beach view but Chuck says that he will see him and Bomb every time he wakes up but Red the door on them. Bomb and Chuck get disappointed and go to their houses, but Red says that he was just kidding and invites them in as his besties. Chuck and Bomb get excited as they start to live together.
After this, Mighty Eagle puts a disk on his disk player and everyone starts to dance, Leonard says that he can't dance because he is hatching a new plan but dances later. As a post-credits scene, The Blues leave their houses and find the slingshot, slinging them far away.
Cast and Characters
|Jason Sudeikis||Red (adult)|
|Aiden McGraw||Red (young)|
|Peter Dinklage||Mighty Eagle|
|Keegan-Michael Key||Judge Peckinpah|
|Danielle Brooks||Olive Blue|
|Romeo Santos||Early Bird|
|Adam Brown||Hug Trader|
|Geoffrey Arend||Day Care Teacher|
|Josh Thompson||Brad Dane the Saxophone Bird|
|Ali Wong||Betty Bird|
|Kevin Quigley||Greg Blue|
|McKenna Grace||Ella Bird|
|Bella Lauder||Maya Bird|
|Craig Berkey (uncredited)||Officer Bill Beakins|
|John Lasseter (uncredited)||Bird|
|Vincent Oswald||Dylan Hatching|
|Pierce Gagnon (Jim)
Noah Schnapp (Jay)
Owen Vaccaro (Jake)
Indra & Joaquin Raval
|The Hatchling Singers|
|Bill Hader||Leonard/King Mudbeard|
|Billy Eichner||Chef Pig|
|Matt McCarthy||Rodney Pig|
|Fergal Reilly||Foreman Pig|
|Matt Taylor||Hamilton Pig|
|Fred Tatasciore||Monty Pig|
|Carlos Alazraqui||Earl's Second Brother (uncredited)|
For the cast in the other dubs, see The Angry Birds Movie Cast in other countries.
The movie was on production since 2011. On May 15, 2013, it was announced that the film would be released on July 1, 2016, and would be distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment. John Cohen would be the producer while David Maisel would be the executive producer.
The film was scheduled to be released on July 1, 2016, but in December 2014, it was moved down to May 20, 2016.
On May 20, 2015, it was announced that Jon Vitti would write the screenplay for the film, while Catherine Winder was also joining as a producer.
On September 23rd 2015, the teaser trailer was released.
On October 9, 2015, it was announced that Clay Kaytis & Fergal Reilly would be the directors.
Unlock the Flock
By every bird flung during the Angry Birds Friends "Sneak Peek Tournament" and every share, Rovio would drop a bird on the www.unlocktheflock.net website, which counts as a "fling". For 1 Billion flings, they would release an exclusive surprise. It was a poster for The Angry Birds Movie. Nowadays the website is no longer up.
The film received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a rating of 44%, based on 144 reviews, with an average rating of 4.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Angry Birds Movie is substantially more entertaining than any film adapted from an app has any right to be -- which may or may not be much of an endorsement." On Metacritic the film has a score of 43 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".  On IGN, it has a score of 7.6 out of 10, including the big Pro: The Big Finale. On Flicks And The City, it got the 3 out of 5 flicks. On CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "B+" on an A+ to F scale
As of September 5th, 2016, The Angry Birds Movie has grossed $107,483,144 domestically and $347,071,474 in total.
Internationally, it opened at $43,000,000 and counting.
In the United States and Canada, The Angry Birds Movie opened on May 20, 2016, alongside Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and The Nice Guys and was projected to gross $40–45 million during its opening weekend.
Domestically, The Angry Birds Movie grossed $38,155,177 on its opening weekend.
The official teaser trailer for this feature is first debuted on September 23rd, 2015 on YouTube, and it is attached to theatrical releases of Sony Pictures' Goosebumps, later prints of Sony Pictures' Hotel Transylvania 2, and it made the last appearance on Lionsgate/Splash Entertainment's Norm of the North. Although Goosebumps is presented in Widescreen Scope, the preview has black bars surround them on the left and right sides of the screen. It was also seen on Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD releases of both volumes of Angry Birds Toons: Season Two, the Complete First and Second Seasons of Angry Birds Stella, and The Complete First and Second Seasons of Piggy Tales, and on the Blu-Ray/DVD releases of Hotel Transylvania 2, Goosebumps, and the DTV feature, Open Season: Scared Silly.
The official theatrical trailer is first debuted on January 26th, 2016 on Facebook, and it is attached to the theatrical releases of DreamWorks' Kung Fu Panda 3 and Disney's Zootopia. Both films are presented in Widescreen Scope, so the preview is presented in the same way as the theatrical release of Goosebumps.
The third and final trailer has debuted on April 12th, 2016 on the article on Entertainment Weekly then on YouTube, and it is attached to the theatrical releases of Gramercy Pictures' Ratchet & Clank, and Marvel Studios' Captain America: Civil War. Just like Goosebumps, Kung Fu Panda 3, and Zootopia, it was in Widescreen Scope, and the preview is presented the same as those films.
When this movie released on home media on August 16th, 2016, the final trailer got updated to represent that release. So far, it shows up on the SPHE DVD release of Angry Birds Toons: Season 3, Volume 1.
For the official soundtrack, see The Angry Birds Movie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), and for the score, see The Angry Birds Movie (Original Motion Picture Score).
The original score was composed by Heitor Pereira. Original songs were made by Blake Shelton, Demi Lovato, Charli XCX, Steve Aoki, and Matoma.
For this film's image gallery, see The Angry Birds Movie/Gallery.
- Although it has a rotten rating, The Angry Birds Movie is the fourth highest-rated video game movie on Rotten Tomatoes, with the third being Tomb Raider, the second being Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and the first being this very film's sequel.
- In the scene where the chandelier with Leonard and Red is falling down in Leonard's castle, the Piggy Tales episode "Dr. Pork, M.D." can be seen briefly on a TV in the Living Room. When the pot falls through the castle, another Piggy Tales episode, "The Catch", can be seen briefly on the TV in the room.
- The novel and movie Fifty Shades of Grey is parodied in the Porkchop Express scene in which a book is titled "Fifty Shades of Green".
- Directorial debut of Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly.
- Josh Gad and Peter Dinklage's third time working together in the same film, as well as their second animated one; they previously worked on Ice Age: Continental Drift and Pixels.
- Recently, they appeared in the movie Artemis Fowl, however, Gad had a major role, while Dinklage only has a small cameo.
- Chuck is shown to be left-handed in this film. This is proven from when he paints with it, raises it, and does other things with his left hand.
- Red's line, "Hey, that's my toothbrush! Get it out!!" is a reference to the film Horrible Bosses, where Jason Sudeikis' character Kurt Beckman says this line to his manager.
- There are two instances of in-game sounds in the movie. In the opening credits, when Red kicks away the Soccer Boy Bird, he makes Matilda's battle cry. When Red, Chuck, and Bomb find the pigs in the boat, the pigs make the noise that plays when the player fails a level in the game.
- At one point at the beginning of the film, Red asks Edward and Eva, "On a scale of 1 to 3 stars, what would you say about my performance?", referencing to the star-scoring system in the game.
- Chuck says "It's Chuck Time!", referring to the Angry Birds Toons episode of the same name.
- In the scene where Chuck opens all of the doors in Leonard's castle, Red opens a door and sees two pigs wearing blue, frilly dresses, having black rings around their eyes, and holding each other's hooves. Two seconds later, these pigs say "Redrum..." in unison, which when reversed spells "murder". Then, a reflection of the Grady Pigs is shown in Red's eyes while he says, "Uh… Never mind", and closes the door. These pigs are clearly a parody of the Grady Twins from the famous horror movie, The Shining.
- Coincidentally, rubrum in Latin means Red, which the word could reference this fact in a modified way.
- A pig holds a sign that says "Green Ham and Eggs!", which is a parody of the Dr. Seuss book Green Eggs and Ham.
- The painting that Terence paints during Matilda's anger management course is a parody of the painting The Creation of Adam.
- King Pig would have been an important character in the movie, but he was cut and is only on storyboards. It's unknown if he has an appearance in it. It's possible that he is the Top Hat Pig, due to them having the same shape and he appears with Leonard all the time. He is fancy and King Pig has a costume in Bad Piggies that is exactly like that pig.
- In the movie, there are various references to the game's physics and objects, some examples are the Grappling Hook and Boxing Glove of Bad Piggies. A complete list can't be made because it would be immense.
- The name Oswald, the last name of Pete Oswald, appears on Mighty Eagle's record player.
- Bomb ruining John Woodpecker's image is a joke on Photo Bombing, which is ruining a photo that a person will take.
- When The Porkchop Express is arriving, a bird says "Look at the size of that thing!" which is a line said by Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars: A New Hope, which is one of the movies Angry Birds Star Wars is based on.
- The line is also said in the console versions of Angry Birds Star Wars, in the Death Star achievement description.
- When Early Bird gets shocked as Red says that he is horrible, his crest disappears.
- Officer Bill Beakins's mustache disappears when Ross hugs him. However, it could be only for comical relief.
- As Red and Bomb dangle from the net of eggs stolen by the Pigs, who are making their escape via boat, Leonard incorrectly tells his minions to "Get him off of there!" instead of the plural "Get them off of there!"
- The nameless purple bird sitting next to Cyrus automatically morphs into a gray bird when the camera focuses on Red and Cyrus.
- At Anger Management Class, there’s nothing beside her, but just as Matilda introduces Terence, she picks up his file which was not there before.
Continuity Errors with the Angry Birds Games
In this film, there are many plot points that are inconsistent with the games and their lore.
- The film implies that The Blues are the youngest birds, even though in the games Bubbles looks younger.
- Bubbles not only seems to be a fully grown adult, but he also has no affection for candy. It is also shown in many books that Bubbles is only able to communicate in Childlike babble, while the film shows him speaking in full sentences.
- The World of Angry Birds Official Guide states that King Pig's ancestors ate many eggs, but the movie says that Leonard is the first to even find the eggs.
- King Pig is never even mentioned in the film, let alone shown. Since the characters didn't seem to age that much between the films and games, it wouldn't be possible for King Pig to be born and grow up. As mentioned above, it is possible for Top Hat Pig to be King Pig, however.
- Bird Island itself contradicts the games' plots, where the birds are of unpopulated kinds and all live on either Piggy or Golden Island. The concept of Bird Island shows that the birds are very common, and live on this developed island.
- It is shown that the birds don't know about any other place than Bird Island, but Terence's cousin, Tony, comes from Finland.
- The games show the birds gradually build up their limited Flock, but the movie shows that they all knew each other from the start.
- IDW Publishing launched a comic book miniseries, titled Angry Birds: Flight School and situated after the events of the film, on February 22, 2017.
- In the summer of 2017, GoComics announced that it will be running a comic strip series based on the world of The Angry Birds Movie, with each issue available to view on its website. The strip ran for over a year, from August 3, 2017, to September 20, 2018.
- The third and fourth seasons of Piggy Tales adapted to the style of the film, with 3D CGI graphics as apposed to the claymated style of the first two seasons. The third season, Third Act, would air on Toons.TV, while season four, Fourth Street, would air on YouTube.
- Angry Birds Blues was a movie-related show that would feature the newborn Blues getting into their own antics that are usually ruined by the more naive hatchlings. It aired on Toons.TV, but after the service shut down, the show moved to YouTube.
- Angry Birds MakerSpace is a movie-styled show that followed the birds and pigs team up to use modern technologies, such as VR and Drones, in a makerspace.
Main article: The Angry Birds Movie 2
Following the strong performance and profitable growth, Rovio announced they were planning the sequel to The Angry Birds Movie. The film, titled The Angry Birds Movie 2, featured the birds and pigs being forced to team up to defeat Zeta of the frosted domain Eagle Island, so she won't destroy their home islands for her own gain. It was released on August 14, 2019. 
- Angry Birds Feature Film to Hit Theaters on July 1, 2016
- Sony Will Release Rovio's Angry Birds Film on 1st July, 2016
- Rovio's Angry Birds Feature Film Nests At Sony Pictures Entertainment
- David Maisel, Former Chairman of Marvel Studios, to Become Special Advisor to Rovio - Rovio Entertainment Ltd
- Rovio announces John Cohen as the producer of Angry Birds movie - Rovio Entertainment Ltd
- John Cohen to Produce Angry Birds Movie for 2016
- Jon Vitti to Write the Angry Birds Movie
- Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly to Direct Angry Birds